Job Title: (RN) Nurse Manager of Behavioral Health Evaluation
Shift/Schedule: 1st shift (7am – 7:30pm)
As an embedded member of the Behavioral Health Evaluation (BHE) unit with the emergency room, plans, organizes and supervises all clinical staff functions, daily, to ensure quality patient care is provided. Models high quality patient-centered care that supports the clinical frameworks of the Behavioral Health Service Line (BHSL) and hospital. Patient care includes care to patients in the following age groups: pediatric (infant to 12 years), adolescent (13 to 17 years), adult (18 to 64 years), and geriatric (over 64 years).
Essential Job Management Functions:
- Fosters high performance activities between the BHSL and Emergency Department (ED) staff members and leadership teams.
- Supervises and coordinates all functions of the Behavioral Health Evaluation (BHE) and Behavioral Interventions Team (BIT) clinical staff, providing guidance and assistance as necessary.
- Plays an active role in the growth and development of staff. Collaborates with advanced practice personnel and education department to develop orientation, education and training programs for employees.
- Provides and implements on-going continuing education and training for new and existing staff members as needed and is responsible for ensuring all staff complete annual competencies within the designated timeframe.
- In collaboration with BHSL and ED leadership, interviews and selects candidates for vacant positions.
- As an active participant of the BHSL leadership team, oversees all care coordination activities performed by the clinical staff members assigned.
- Effectively manages patient complaints, in collaboration with the BHSL Business and Quality Manager.
- Meets one on one with assigned staff members on a monthly basis.
- In collaboration with Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner and the BHSL leadership team, completes annual performance evaluations for assigned staff members.
Clinical Job Functions:
- Models exceptional patient care within the BHE.
- Following established standards of work, verifies patient information by interviewing the patient to obtain pertinent biopsychosocial health information per ED Psychiatric Protocol.
- Reviews and updates current medication list, making changes as needed.
- Addresses medication concerns with patient and provides education on possible side effects.
- Collaborates with provider to assure patient medications are reviewed and initiated in a timely fashion.
- Administers injections and medications as prescribed by the provider and in accordance with department protocol, regulatory requirements and standards of practice.
- Collects laboratory specimens and prepares them for testing.
- Assists with test tracking and monitoring overdue results.
- Assists with reviewing and revising patient care plans in collaboration with provider and patient and assesses patient progress.
- Assists with proactive outreach for patients requiring preventive and chronic disease services.
- Participates in daily huddles with the provider when needed.
- Maintains and cleans medical equipment after each procedure.
- Handles all patient information in a confidential manner according to privacy and confidentiality policies and procedures.
- Previous experience in the role of Nurse Facilitator (Charge Nurse).
- Three (3) years of clinical nursing experience in an acute care psychiatric setting
- Current certification in managing violent behavior, with a focus upon de-escalation techniques. If not current, will obtain credential within 90 days of employment.
- Master of Science Nursing degree with focus in psychiatric and mental health nursing or nursing administration or nursing education for an accredited program for nursing. If not master’s prepared at the time of appointment, willing to obtain master’s degree within 3 years.
- Previous nursing leadership experience in acute care settings.
- Previous clinical and/or management experience in emergency department.
- Experience in meeting regulatory compliance related to The Joint Commission, State of Pennsylvania Department of Health, and/or Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
Specific licensures and certifications/registrations required:
- Bachelor of Science Nursing degree from an accredited program.
- Current licensure as a Registered Nurse (RN) issued by the Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing is required
- BLS Required
- Competitive base salary (based on years of experience)
- Sign-On Bonus and Relocation Assistance offered.